National Novel Writing Month

If you are a writer, and you have not heard of National Novel Writing Month, you have been living in a bubble.

This month I am taking part, along with many countries all over the world, in a one month writing spree and the aim is to reach 50,000 words in one month.

I am finding it difficult because I made the mistake of choosing a subject, and storyline that requires a lot of research - I know already within one week of beginning that I should have chosen a topic that I already know well. But, never mind, it will be harder but it will be worth it because it is a story that I have been wanting to write for ages now, I needed the push to begin. NaNoWriMo was the big push - a very big push indeed.

I have been concerned because at times my word count has been falling below the average amount of words that other people are reaching, but I am going at my own pace and I have started too fall nicely in line with everybody else. It is day eight today, and people are hitting an average word count of about 10,000 and I have just hit 8,000. It could be worse. Sometimes you start slow, and gain pace. That is my ideal plan.

I will be pained if I do not reach the target now, but on the other hand I feel I am looking too far towards the finishing line, If I look at the bigger picture I have already begun my novel, I have my pages printed off in front of me and I have a physical storyline going on. A beginning. A middle. A plan and research, that is an achievement in itself.

I am finding it easier to write at nighttime, as I always do. That is me as a definition of a writer. 2:00AM, with a dark coffee, no sounds disturbing me and a hot water bottle by my feet; accompanied most importantly by words itching to be written on a page.

I have chosen the genre of Religion and fantasy combined. A bible based story with a twist if you wish. Based simply on myths and possible facts. I do not know where I stand with religion, but I do know where I stand with fantasy, so together I am creating a very powerful novel. I will not yet reveal my storyline though. My little secret.

If you haven't managed to get involved this year I would definitely recommend doing it next year, even if you do not finish it gives you a starting point, a push you may be in need of. However, make sure that you have a lot of time on your hands if you do want to finish.

And if you are taking part this year, good luck and I wish you every success! Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss how you are finding the experience, that would be very interesting indeed!

Boneata Bell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facebook, think twise...

Game on

Summer words