The Education Road

OK, so today was one of those days where them spelling mistakes were getting on top of me. I've been studying journalism and media for nearly four years; I have always known what I wanted but when the spelling mistakes are crawling out of my writing pieces in every direction it puts me down, I feel like maybe I will never pick it up...

One thing I intend to live by for the rest of my life is a bit of a fact that my tutor pointed out; 'if you put your mind to something, you can do it.' it's quite simple really, it is true. It is the most obvious thing to me, now that somebody has pointed it out. So now when I am feeling down about my work, I put my mind to it.

So media, when did I decide that it was for me? Year eight, the year when you select your options at school. I picked media and History. I am not even going to talk about how my History went but media was defiantly my main goal. I achieved full distinctions across the board when I finished the course, so then I began learning at the Grimsby Institute of Further and Higher Education. I decided to do the Diploma in Multi-Platform Journalism, and that is where I am now. In my second year of a course that I love. Education wise, there is not one thing that I regret so far. I know that I want to be a writer.

So where do I go from here? University was a big decision; it's a life changer. It's debt, and growing up. And with the help of my tutors I decided to do it, to apply. My parents didn't approve; and that was one of the most difficult things that I have had to decide on my own so far, without their approval I was alone. In the end I made my own decision, I feel it was the right one, if I am wrong it is something that I will have to deal with later, if not I have just been lucky enough to make the right choice - not many people are first time! If I do not begin life carefree and make some 'stupid' mistakes, I will not be one day sensible and have a degree of experience that a younger generation can ignore advice from and join the circle of regrets and lucky escapes - see, it's an essential part of growing up. I am going to study locally because I love my life in a tiny town, I like to travel, but I like my home to be somewhere that I really can call home, somewhere I know my family have lived and we belong. But no, I do not know what the future will bring, maybe I will one day move away. We will see.

The course I want to do at university will begin this September, I am struggling between studying for a BA in professional writing or a BA in multi-platform journalism; so far I have only been offered a place on one of the two courses, it seems university is about waiting around for them scary decisions.

I volunteer for VOXX Magazine, and so far that has been my greatest opportunity and I have loved every minute of it, although the volunteering is like work experience (my college has arranged it) I do not believe I will stop writing for it when the course is over. I've very much enjoyed meeting new people and learning new skills.

So now it's up to waiting to see where this career takes me. I'll be sure to keep you updated of any amazing changes or new experiences. In February I have one guaranteed interview and one that is currently in discussion, every time I do these interviews, I get a little bit better. I listen back to it and hear my mistakes; I am intent on learning from them. So, let's see where life takes me; I look forward to the adventure.


Boneata Bell

Comments

  1. You deleted my comment and didn't even correct the spelling mistake? I was only trying to help...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not had any other comments, please send me the spelling mistake and I will correct it.

      Regards,

      Boneata Bell

      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Facebook, think twise...

Game on